Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I am now almost 48 hours removed from the race and thought it would be fitting to offer a few final thoughts about the 2008 Amgen Tour of California. Defining moments for me: first rider off in Palo Alto, driving through Davis, Sprint in Patterson on Stage 3, driving Stage 3 without getting sick, trying to open the car door against the wind on Stage 4, the Course Marshals being hammered by the wind and rain on Stage 4 and 7, the Rock Racing girls, the race start in Modesto, Sierra and Balcom, driving through La Canada Flintridge, and entering into the Rose Bowl.

I got to spend an hour with our UCI Commissaire President yesterday, as I drove him to LAX for his flight back to Amsterdam. Martin Swinkles has presided over several Tour de France races. I am adding him to my list of people I would like to have over for dinner.

I will always be amazed with what it takes to put this race together. There are so many people involved, yet I have never seen egos get in the way. Everyone works together to make this one of the greatest races in the world. AEG, Medalist Sports, the sponsors, and the host cities work untold hours and never give up on solving an issue. It is an amazing partnership of committed individuals and organizations.

It is always difficult to see the trucks packed for the final time, taking the signage off of your vehicle, and seeing your friends head to the airport. As for me, I am already behind in getting things ready for Colorado Stage Race and other Medalist events. Planning has already started for the 2009 race. The Tour de Georgia is just six weeks away and I know that most of the people I work with on the Amgen Tour of California will be gathered in Georgia.

Hope you have enjoyed these past several days with me.

-Eric

Ps. All of the pictures and text for this Blog were done with my iPhone

1 comment:

Jeff Martin said...

Eric:

Having a bit of ToC withdrawls...

What an event. I speak from a point of expertise in following this sport very intensively across the pond and domestically since 92.

It has also been special since my father over the past several years has been part of the moto marshalls. What a concept, seeing my sporting heros in my backyard and watching my dad live a dream.

I turned the clock at 40 this year along with my twin brother. We elected to ride three stages beginning with riding from SLO town to Solvang, SB to Santa Clarita, and Stage 7 with 5 of our close friends. We really had a blast if not a life long experience with my wife sagging us along the course and remembering pedaling into some relatively dark unknown on stage 7. We were fourtunate only to suffer two flats in this whole endeavor and the riding and folks on the course were entirely something to remember. In some cases, we felt like the peleton with the attention we got...

To top each morning off, we got to watch first hand top world cyling talent and see the mix of teams that will later in the year do serious battle. Very cool.

This tour is huge in our family. I will continue to support this great race any way I can. Let's get another sprint prime in Arroyo Grande so I can lean out my window and praise the riders again... We'll see.

Found your blog today and I will stay in touch. Thank you for your writing and it's appreciated.

Blessings to you and your team!